Berhalter Reveals 19-Man Training Camp Roster — These 9 Have The Sauce To Make Final WCQ Squad
Get the best email in soccer.
American fans are dying to see the USMNT January roster that will take on El Salvador, Canada and Honduras in the crucial upcoming World Cup qualifiers. The fixation on the roster is so intense that fans brushed aside defender Aaron Long’s marriage.
Roster out?— Tactical Manager (@ManagerTactical) January 6, 2022
Congrats, but when will the roster be out?— Michael Villagran (@Michael17331381) January 6, 2022
USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter released a 19-man training camp roster on Thursday that provides a small preview of who might make the cut. This training camp is comprised entirely of Major League Soccer players that need the extra training as they haven’t played a competitive game in over a month.
@USMNT Head Coach Gregg Berhalter has called 19 players to the January Training Camp in Phoenix, ArizonaWhich player do you hope to see more of in the future? pic.twitter.com/Y5nQWIBIsI
— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) January 6, 2022
These 19 players are by no mean the final roster — God help us if it was — but there are a handful of names who deserve to make the cut. Here’s a 26-man roster that I could see Berhalter selecting for the three upcoming games.
I’ll clear one last point before the prediction. I have left Gio Reyna off the list as he hasn’t played a game for club or country since September. While he has returned to Borussia Dortmund’s training, I’d be pleasantly surprised to see his name included in the USMNT roster.
2022 USMNT January Roster Prediction
*indicates a player that is also in the 19-man January training camp
- Zack Steffen (Manchester City)
- Matt Turner* (New England Revolution)
- Sean Johnson* (NYCFC)
- Walker Zimmerman* (Nashville SC)
- Miles Robinson* (Atlanta United)
- Chris Richards (Hoffenheim)
- Mark McKenzie (Genk)
- Tim Ream (Fulham)
- Sergiño Dest (Barcelona)
- Joe Scally (Borussia Monchengladbach)
- DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray)
- Antonee Robinson (Fulham)
- Sam Vines (Royal Antwerp)
- Weston McKennie (Juventus)
- Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig)
- Kellyn Acosta* (Colorado Rapids)
- Sebastian Lletget* (New England Revolution)
- Yunus Musah (Valencia)
- Gianluca Busio (Venezia)
- Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
- Tim Weah (Lille)
- Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg)
- Paul Arriola* (DC United)
- Jordan Morris* (Seattle Sounders)
- Ricardo Pepi (Augsburg)
- Gyasi Zardes* (Columbus Crew)
Let’s see how many I get right/wrong. Do your worst, Gregg.