Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: nid in views_handler_field_term_node_tid->pre_render() (line 98 of /var/www/html/docroot/sites/all/modules/views/modules/taxonomy/
  • Notice: Undefined index: nid in views_handler_field_term_node_tid->pre_render() (line 98 of /var/www/html/docroot/sites/all/modules/views/modules/taxonomy/


Manchester City Comeback To Defeat Monaco In An Eight-Goal Thriller

Free-scoring Monaco met Pep Guardiola’s equally attack-minded Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday, and then all hell broke loose. Fox Sports guaranteed us goals on FS1, and they didn’t lie to us.

Manchester City and Monaco combined for eight goals on the night, one short of the Champions League round of 16 record, as City defeated the visitors 5-3. For how breathtaking both sides were in attack, it’s safe to say that both teams are a shambles in defense. But, really, who cares? Probably the managers, but for neutrals, this was a first leg that will live long in the memory.

The opening goal took 26 minutes to arrive. After that, the longest interval between goals would be 18 minutes.

Raheem Sterling was the first name on the scoresheet, but it was down to an assist and some individual brilliance from the 21-year-old German Leroy Sane.

Only six minutes later, the rejuvenated Radamel Falcao scored his 23rd goal in all competitions for Monaco this season with a diving header. 

Only three minutes later, Sergio Aguero and Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subasic collided in the penalty area with Aguero bearing down on goal. Guardiola and the Etihad were convinced it was a penalty, but the referee booked Aguero for simulation.

Five minutes after that (you see the ferocious pattern here?), Kylian Mbappe gave Monaco a 2-1 half time lead after Nicolas Otamendi just watched him finish a simple ball over the top of City’s defense.


The referee blew his whistle for the start of the second half, and Monaco immediately earned a penalty. Otamendi was, once again, the player at fault for City, but Willy Caballero made what, in hindsight, could be the most pivotal moment of the tie by denying Falcao from the spot.

In the 58th minute, Aguero equalized for City after a weak shot somehow managed to sneak through Subasic’s hands. It was a terrible howler for the Monaco goalkeeper.

In the 61st minute, Falcao appeared to bail his ‘keeper out after barreling by John Stones and chipping Caballero to give Monaco a 3-2 advantage.

But from there, it was all City. Augero leveled the scores at 3-3 in the 71st minute with a volley off a corner.

John Stones put City ahead in the 77th minute with another goal from a corner.

And Sane gave City a two-goal advantage in the 82nd minute. Two minutes later, Caballero pulled off another heroic save on Falcao to keep the score at 5-3.

The return leg is on March 15 in Monaco, and we can finally breath again.

Videos you might like